Thursday, October 29, 2009

And then she was mine......





Five o'clock came and went........we got word that they were still at another hotel where more little kids were meeting their new parents. Didn't know until much later (days) that Mailia's friend Sara was one of those kids. I knew Sara's parents from the orphanage yahoo group, but we had never met. Days later, while in Guangzhou, our final stop in China, we all met in person quite by accident while our girls were getting their medical exams. Coincidence? I think not. lol We remain friends to this day.

Anyway, the minutes and hours dragged by and then FINALLY we were called and told to wait down in the elevator lobby. Even then we waited and got to watch another family receive their little girl first. And then time stood still...........I watched the elevator lights as it made it's way up to our floor........the door finally opened and out stepped my daughter.

Her first word was "Mama" and her next words were "where's Baba?" (daddy) Daddy was waiting at home but we called and talked to him very soon afterwards.

We had about 20 minutes to ask all those questions I had prepared, and then the orphanage rep. and our Chinese speaking guide both left. This little girl who didn't speak a word of English was suddenly left with total strangers. Silent tears ran down her cheeks for a minute or two while I tried to hold her and comfort her the best I could. My heart was breaking for her and I was scared to death that I would not be the mom she deserved. But........

Within about 30 minutes this kid was laughing, giggling, jumping on the bed, eating snacks we'd brought, trying on new clothes I'd brought, and on and on and on. None of us were able to sleep for hours that night. We were all on a huge, huge high.....running on adrenalin.

I could write about the rest of our trip for hours, but I won't. It's just been an awesome trip down memory lane today. I remember all the feelings and emotions like it was yesterday, instead of three years.

Thanks for going along with me for the ride. LOL

I'm posting a few pictures here too:

One when she stepped off the elevator and then one taken today, 3 yrs later, in the same outfit.

Then one in the little red, white and blue dress she wore home to the USA, and then one today, 3 yrs. later in the same dress.

TOO FUNNY!!!!

4 comments:

Debby said...

I think that's cool she can still try on the same clothes....won't be much longer she'll be too big! The time just flies, doesn't it?????

Cynthia said...

The pictures are a great demonstration at how much Mailia has grown. At first I thought you had a shirt that had matched her dress LOL!

Thanks for the memories!

Terynn said...

I remember your journey to Malia (I belonged to the CHI group at the time). She is a treasure, your Malia! Thanks for the revisit of her Gotcha Day! She is growing up an awesome person...

Jana said...

I remember it like it was yesterday! So fun to relive it!